Fleeces

Folly

Just born
Reaction score
Should I be concerned about introducing a disease into the soil of my property from the debris and waste water from processing a fleece for spinning? I don't currently own any sheep, but would like to sometime in the future and don't want to introduce something that could be a health concern onto my property. I keep reading that many are keeping closed flocks, though many also are not.

Total newbie. Just want to buy a fleece, learn to spin and not do something stupid right off the bat. Thanks in advance.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
It’s not something that I’ve ever heard any concern about.

There’s differing opinions about whether it’s a good idea to put the wash water in the septic tank. I do, but only because I’m washing 1 fleece at a time and they aren’t high grease. I wash in a utility sink. I’d like to set up a drain hose that I can run out the laundry room door and into the backyard for when I wash wool, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Folly

Just born
Reaction score
That's encouraging that you haven't heard of any concerns about it.

Thanks for the heads up about the septic system. I'm thinking about using the waste water and scrap pieces of wool in a compost pile.