How Often to Breed Ewes?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Depends partly on what your goals may be. You can get 3 breeding over 2 yrs. Production herds do this.

I have goats. My dairy type are seasonal, so 1 time a yr, basically -- esp if milking. My meat ones, I get 3 in 2 for most. A couple gals are slackers and only once 🤣 But right now, that's ok for MY herd and me.

@Ridgetop & @Baymule control their sheep with determined dates. Good info coming 👍

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It depends on their condition and time of year that babies will be born. August is hottest month, February is coldest, strike those 2 out. Generally mine need a break between weaning and breeding. Sometimes I breed right back. It’s all up to conditioning and time of birth.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have White Dorpers and they will breed back when their lambs are 3 months old. As long as they are in good condition, I like to keep them producing. Some large flock Dorper breeders just breed for the spring market (several weeks before Easter) when prices are higher. Breeders of show and quality breeding stock like to breed for September -November kids as well as spring kids since it proves that the ewes are year round breeders. If you can control condition with feeding you do not have to let them "rest". If you flush the ewes they will drop the most eggs when they are actively gaining weight, more than when they are well or over conditioned. I have one ewe that does nit breed back easiy, she prefers to be an annual breeder. She is also an "easy keeper" to the point of needing to be on a diet!

Since we have had good rains in southern California this year, and your grass and forage is still palatable, you should have no problem rebreeding when you wean. If you feel they are a bit under conditioned, you can supplement to help them gain weight before breeding back.

Dry forage has more nutrients per lb than green forage since the green forage has a high percentage of water. This is per an article by Ulf Kinzel in New York. He moves his sheep the way you do but uses German Shepherds. This is what makes fresh green forage good for lactating ewes - it provides more water to make milk. Lots of good articles from him online - look up White Clover Farm.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, Ulf also writes an article in the "Farming" magazine that I referenced back a few months ago... out of Amish country in OH.... Pretty sure you had looked it up @SageHill .....
I’ve known about Ulf forever. He was a large part of developing the C course for AKC. He has quite a following among those who trial their dogs on that course. Similar to what I do but WAY more formalized.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve known about Ulf forever. He was a large part of developing the C course for AKC. He has quite a following among those who trial their dogs on that course. Similar to what I do but WAY more formalized.
I meant that you had looked up "Farming Magazine" since I had said how it was such a nice one about some of the "slower simpler" ways of life... I am sure that with your extensive training and all that you would have heard of him....;)

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know that he trained in East Germany as a humance shepherd before immigrating here. He took anther degree of some sort to do with Ag here I think. I found hi articles when looking for Dorper information. He raises White Dorpers and went into Kiko goats to control briars on his property. He used to buy all his rams from Paul Lewis. Paul was on NSIP. Paul sold his flock a couple years ago to Charlie Robinson in Missouri. It is fascinating hw all these things are related in AG. :D =D