Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I dropped Teresa off at the Nashville airport at 5:30 this morning for her trip to Reno and she still hasn't gotten there after a canceled flight, delay departing Nashville and another flight change in Denver that resulted in an almost five hour layover. I just checked and they are scheduled to depart in 15 minutes so we shall see.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule took the words right out of my mouth.... LOOOOOONG day.... she will be exhausted when she finally gets there.... Sure hope she has a good time while there to make up for all the delays...

She has a full week so she has time to rest up and visit with the family.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I smoked three racks of ribs and a pork shoulder today and they were awesome. I pulled the pork shoulder into one pound servings and the ribs I did a half rack in each bag so we have enough smoked meat to last for awhile,

We had some contractors come out this morning for our electric company to do some measurements on the power poles in our fields so it wound up easier for me to just take them out in the Polaris rather than run around opening gates so they could go in and out. The dogs were good around them but I was surprised to see the ram get into aggressive mode while they were out there.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Real estate prices have gotten ridiculous around here and in an amazingly short time. We are only 65 miles from Nashville and 50 miles from Franklin which is the new high tech hub for Tennessee. Several auto plants are now in Spring Hill which is only 28 miles away. When we bought our 19 acres, land was going for $2500 an acre because it was considered so rural. There is an acreage listing just down the road from us that is 39.67 acres with a pretty new pole barn that is listed at $699,000. There are a bunch of 1200 - 1400 homes going in that are selling for $300,000 plus so it looks like we are no longer considered really rural.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Prices are up everywhere but I don't know how anyone can afford to buy anything with interest rates approaching 7%. Especially when unemployment is high, taxes keep going up, and so many cities want to instigate rent control. Rent control keeps rents low but doesn't stop property taxes or other costs from going up for the owners.

During Covid when tenants did not have to pay their rent, but the owners had to keep paying their mortgages, a lot of landlords lost their properties. Then the government gave out money to people who were supposedly not working but they still did not have to pay rent. We had to sell our rental since that was the only way we could get the non-paying tenant out. Then we found out that he had cut the fences we had put up to block the rest of the acreage. He had been renting out the barn and several other outbuildings to people to live in as well as allowing people to pay to park RVs on the property and live in them. He insisted that he couldn't afford to pay the rent to us, so we had no rent for 2 years but still had to pay our property taxes and insurance.

And don't get me started n the illegals flooding in and getting free rent! :somad