Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Teresa made some scallops that were as good as I ever had and that comes from someone who lived in the best sea food service city in the country for over 25 years. Her diet has her eating some really basic spices on foods but she makes a point of keeping me in my gourmet meals. :)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We talked about Oshi's progeny quite a while back but his genetics are giving us the most pleasurable lambing that we have in all of the time we have been doing this. Most all of both ewes and rams have a perfectly straight back and loins that are completely impressive. We had some folks out today that wants to buy a small flock and I made it a point not to brag too much. :) I have reached the point that I wish that we had twice our acreage so we could keep all of the lambs. We have been around sheep enough to know quality but we haven't seen a complete lambing session with lambs of this quality. What is the worst problem is that we aren't set up to raise ram lambs but we have enough that are so impressive that we will figure it out.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
How nice to sell off the farm, you get better money that way. Y’all are building a reputation for having fine sheep.

I popped somebody’s fantasy. A family bought 10 registered ewes and a registered ram, and a Karakachan dog. They were convinced that they were gonna be rolling in cask when they sell their first lambs next year. They have 4 acres.
I know what they paid for their ram because I bought 2 registered ewes from same breeder last year, $650 each. I smacked them in the face with reality.
“You don’t have a name. Nobody knows you. I don’t have a name either. The breeder you bought the ram from has been around forever and everyone knows him. He has a waiting list. I can’t sell lambs from his ewes for what I paid for them. Ain’t gonna happen, because I don’t have a name. There is no way I’m gonna get $650 per lamb because I haven’t been breeding sheep for 20-30 years and I don’t go to shows.”

“Half your crop will be rams. ALL of them will not be breeding stock, only the top few. Just because they are registered doesn’t guarantee that they will all be top quality. If you sell crap sheep, you will get a name for selling crap and nobody will buy from you.”

Look on his face, freaking priceless.

You take the rest of the rams to auction.

“How much do they bring at auction?”

Eyes bugging out, smile gone.

“Anywhere from $80 to $125, maybe as high as $150”

Look on face even more freaking priceless.

DIL joined conversation, “I saw the picture you posted on FB, you got a lot of COLOR.”

It seems that not only registered Katahdins a valuable asset, but if they are splashy with COLOR, you can name your price…….. now why didn’t I know that???

This is a family where father and son both have good jobs, work hard, mother and DIL stay home and have been successful in running a puppy business. Dogs are not selling like they were, probably because people are more interested in buying groceries. Nice people, nice family, someone has pumped their expectations up way too high.

Last edited:

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is a big investment. Have they ever raised sheep before? Do they know that with only 4 acres they will have to feed hay just about all year? Are they from California? LOL

Sad when people think they can just buy animals and make a million dollars without any preparation or paying their dues. Happened with ostriches, llamas, alpacas, and all the exotics. And now that Covid is over, and people have gone back to work, all the shelters are full with people bringing back the dogs they adopted/bought during the pandemic!